UNKNOWN MEN STRANGLE NECO REGISTRAR TO DEATH IN HIS RESIDENCE

Unknown men on Monday night stormed the residence of Professor Godswill Obioma, and strangled him to death, his wife suspected the attack to be an assassination.


“The assassins came in, killed him and left without taking anything,” Elizabeth Obioma told Peoples Gazette by telephone on Tuesday morning.


Weeping profusely, Mrs Obioma said her husband had just returned from trip in Abuja to their base, Minna. The armed men, lurking in his compound, descended on him and strangled him.


Police spokesman did not return the request, seeking comments about the development.


It was alledged that Mr Obioma had been facing attempts to remove him from office as the head of NECO, a prominent examination body run by the Nigerian government.


Mr Obioma, 67, was appointed head of NECO barely a year ago on May 14, 2020. He hailed from Abia in Nigeria’s Igbo-dominated South-East region.


The incident came barely a day after Ahmed Gulak, a top politician of the ruling APC, was gunned down in Owerri, raising widespread fears of insecurity.

Comments